Search

Custom Search

1.13.2011

Verse of the Week, Vol. 1

I stole this idea, so please, none of that in the comments. This is a series I am abducting from the blog of the All City Chess Club, hip-hop group extraordinaire. Here, I shall, weekly (I hope) dissect a verse from one of my favorite hip-hop songs; sometimes I shall take it apart line by line, sometimes I'll just post the verse and the song and let you do the thinking. But it shall be a lesson every time, an English lesson of sorts.
The reason for this is that hip-hop is now on the up and up, and it is a wonderful thing. During the past decade, we've seen mainstream rap music rise and fall. Due to some of the current trends and the raised popularity of certain artists and songs, I have reason to believe that the worst is behind us. That being said, the worst left us with an avalanche of terrible music. I believe that it is the duty of hip-hop heads everywhere to make sure that said avalanche does not outshine the needles in the bubble gum rap haystack. As a hip-hop head, I take that duty personally, and I shall execute it to the fullest. So here we go. I'm gonna start off with an easy one, please don't be mad...



VOLUME ONE
Song: Jesus Walks
Artist: Kanye West
Album: The College Dropout

To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
(Jesus walks with them)
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here: hell yeah
(Jesus walks with them)
Now hear ye, hear ye, want to see Thee more clearly
I know he hear me when my feet get weary
Cause we're the, almost nearly extinct
We rappers is role models; we rap we don't think
I ain't here to argue about his facial features; I'm here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers,
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis, that's the way I need Jesus
So here go my single dog, radio needs this
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
Then I hope it take away from my sins
And bring the day that I'm dreaming about
Next time I'm in the club everybody screaming out

How shall I begin this? This is like a gold mine of hip-hop greatness. Kanye is really one of the main rappers who talks about God in his music (I mean to a point, not just "thank god" for something). Kanye has openly discussed his spiritual beliefs with us in his music, and his single "Jesus Walks" offered him an entire song to show his thoughts on the subject with the listeners. I think this is one of those verses where I shouldn't just harp on it forever, you should just read it yourself. Please please leave some feedback in the comments, what you think of the verse, whatever else you deem necessary. Holla.

1 comment:

  1. nice article. i like the verse, definitely doesnt feel like a typical rap subject.
    i like kanye's message, Jesus walks with (everyone). . .

    my favorite aspect to the verse come in the lines:
    "They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
    That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
    But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?"

    I think this portion shows us all the standard Kanye. Being true to himself. being different. standing alone. proving others wrong and doing what others dont.
    i feel like even when trying to send his religious message he does it as only Kanye West would

    ReplyDelete