Search

Custom Search

10.04.2010

Album Review: Lil Wayne I am not a Human Being

My Rating: 6/10

Lil Wayne dropped his latest album, I am not a Human Being, On September 27 (his Birthday).
It's No Ceilings-era Lil Wayne at its best, and I love it. Its full of the funny metaphor/similie-punchlines that we have come to love and expect from Wayne. On the ludicrously named track "Gonorrhea" he laughs, "Y'all some bitches like beta phi beta," which gave me a good chuckle. However, as always with Lil Wayne, he tries hundreds of different smilies, some work, and some just come off as forced "We in this bitch like tampon" (ew).

As a huge Weezy fan, I couldn't help but enjoy the album, as Drake said "I think the project is just a lot of Wayne songs... it's that stuff that people want to hear." But I'd like to see Weezy depart from his funny flow more often as he kind of does in "I'm Single," and i think Weezy feels the same way. I can only assume that he has undergone a large amount of personal growth based on his semi-frequent posts on Weezythanxyou.com, and as a rapper that means we can expect to see a significant change in his style, not only in his delivery but also in his content. Lil Wayne put out this album to get rid of all of those songs he had recorded before prison, so that Tha Carter IV can be a completely original and post-prison project. I think that was a great idea because, like any fan, I want to pay for the best product possible, but that brings me to my biggest issue with this album.

It fucking costs $11! That is a sin. By treating this as a collection of tracks that was simply meant to rid C4 of its pre-prison work, YM acknowledges that this album is really not an album at all. It is a mixtape, one that I would have gladly downloaded as some sort of No Ceilings extension, but I simply can not support the selling of this thrown together collection of songs. It is industry greed at its worst.

However, you can't lose sight of the joy that comes from blasting the album's high points (especially "With You" and "I am not a Human Being" for me). So, what we are left with is a solid No Ceilings rehash mixtape that is blasphemously being sold as an album. My final verdict? I can't advise you to spend your money on this with a clean conscious, and because of that it earns a lackluster and average 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment